The Biggleswade History Society takes an active interest in the preservation and conservation of buildings and sites of interest within the town of Biggleswade.
The Society’s Committee reviews details of all relevant planning applications and are invited to provide responses into the planning approval process of Mid-Bedfordshire District Council.
The Society are taking, or have taken, an interest in anything which may affect the town’s heritage. Projects and actual, or potential, development sites of interest include:
- Restoration and resiting of the Victorian fountain in the Market Square
- The drum clock sited on the old Town Hall
- Siting of heritage signs around the town
- St Andrew’s School (now redeveloped into apartments)
- Palace Street and Bonds Lane
- Georges Hall – The Liberal Hall
- Old brewery site (developed by Asda, a supermarket opened November 2005)
- Watkin motor engineers site; previously Woodall wheelmaker’s, now developed as Woodhall (sic) housing site