Biggleswade History Links
Heritage Gateway for Biggleswade
Useful resource to search for the following:
Statutory Data – The National Heritage List for England includes all nationally designated heritage assets including Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments, Registered Parks and Gardens, Registered Battlefields and Protected Wreck Sites.
Local Records – The Historic Environment Record for Bedfordshire is a key information source for the known archaeology, historic buildings and historic landscape features within the Unitary Authority areas of Bedford Borough, Central Bedfordshire and Luton Borough, together forming the historic county of Bedfordshire.
National Archaeological Data – The information within PastScape is taken directly from the NMR’s national historic environment database containing nearly 400,000 records on the archaeology and buildings of England and its territorial waters.
NMR The Excavation Index (EI) – is a guide to the archaeological excavations and interventions carried out in England since the earliest days of scientific archaeology, and an index to the location of the excavation archives and finds. It is part of the National Monuments Record, England’s heritage archive.
National Image Collections – Images of England, is a groundbreaking initiative which aims to create a ‘point in time’ photographic record of England’s listed buildings.
- Ampthill & District Archaeology and Local History Society
- Ampthill History Forum
- Bedfordshire Archives and Records Service
- Bedford Archaeological & Local History Society – 7 Lely Close, Bedford MK41 7LS. Tel: 01234 365095
- Bedfordshire Family History Society
- Bedfordshire Historical Record Society
- Bedfordshire Local History Association
- Biggleswade Town Football Club History
- Biggleswade Workhouse Poor Law Union
- BigglesFM Radio 104.8MHz
- Caddington Local History Group
- Carlton & Chellington Historical Society
- Clapham Historical Society – Mrs Mollie Foster, Chairman, Narly Oak, The Baulk, Green Lane, Clapham, Bedford MK41 6AA, 01234 350353. Email
- Dunstable Museum Trust – Mrs. J.F. Webb, 10 Leaside, Houghton Regis, Dunstable
- Dunstable & District Local History Society – Mrs. J. Curran, 7 Castle Close, Totternhoe, LU6 1QJ
- Flitwick Local History Society – Anne Slack. Meet at Flitwick Library
- Friends of the Bunyan Museum
- Friends of Luton Museums – Mrs. S. Sharp, 9 Honeygate, Luton, LU2 7EP
- Harlington Heritage Trust – Sue Evans, 123 Westoning Road, Harlington, LU5 6PA
- Historical Association – Bedford Branch – Mark Rutherford School, Westworth Drive, MK41 8PX
- Hitchin Historical Society
- Langford District Local History Society
- Leighton Buzzard & District Archaeological Society – Mr. J.B. Jones40 Redwood Glade, Leighton Buzzard, LU7 7JT
- Leighton Buzzard Canal Society – 41 Himley Green, Linslade, Beds.Email Tel: 01525 374498
- Leighton Linslade Local History Research Group – Maureen Brown, 25 Rothschild Rd, Linslade, Leighton Buzzard
- Leighton Linslade Past Times – Including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge – Kevin Quick
- Letchworth & District Family History Group
- Luton & District Historical Society – E. Adey, Luton Museum, Wardown Park, Old Bedford Rd, Luton, LU2 7HA
- Manshead Archaeological Society of Dunstable
- Markyate Local History Society
- Maypole Heritage (Ickwell) – Chris. Deverell, Woodcote, Bedford Rd, Northill SG18_9AD, 01767 627339
- Potton History Society
- Riseley Historical Society
- Roxton & District Local History Group – Prof. John Rogerson (Chairman), Tel. 01234 871150, E-mail
- Sandy and District Historical Society – Peter Prior, 9 Parkway, St Neots, Cambs, PE9 1EB, 01480 474370
- Sandy Historical Research Group
- Sandy in Roman Times
- Sandy Transport Society – Mr. C. Smith, 37 Abbey Grove, Sandy SG19 1QR
- Stotfold Local History Group – Christine Smith, 101 The Green, Stotfold, Hitchin SG5 4DJ
Other Useful Links
Guidance on where to find information on your ancestors in England and Wales.
- Archives Then And Now
This study of Local History is given to beginners and more experienced students. It offers guidance to basic skills, lessons on interpretation of written sources and a framework of documents which create a picture of social and economic life from Saxon times to the present day. Most important of all, it marries the older tradition of libraries and books to computers and websites.
- Coker Exhibition Systems Ltd
Exhibition stands, banner stands, modular displays, and popup systems for sale or hire. We get all of our display equipment from here – fast and friendly!
- Local History Online
One of the UK’s premier sites for local history, with nearly 1,000 links to sites both in the UK and overseas, regularly updated News and Calendar sections, directories of local history organisations and course providers and an on-line Bookshop, with stock at discounted prices.
- Martlesham Heath Aviation Society and Control Tower Museum
This web site contains the history, memories, pictures and sounds of the historic airfield at Martlesham Heath, Suffolk, and plans and reports of events arranged by and for the members of the society.
Thank you for assistance with research into the history of Lt Vance Harney, USAAF who crashed in Biggleswade in 1945.
- Old Maps UK Genealogy
- Kramp UK Ltd
Agricultural machinery spare parts and forestry equipment. Stratton Business Park, London Road, Biggleswade, Beds, SG18 8QB, Bedfordshire
Tel: 01767 602600, Fax: 01767 602620
Managing Director – Robert Ashurstt. Sales Director – Robert Meads.