This was originally Ivel Meadow owned by Henry Franklin, The Miller, who gave it to the town for use as a recreation ground. The Urban District Council created a delightful riverside park with childrens swings, a roundabout, paddling pool, bandstand, summer house, lawns, wooden seats and best of all on a hot summers day, a drinking fountain. This was a popular venue in the 1920’s and 30’s especially during the long school summer holidays, together with the riverside walk, Lido and boating nearby on the River Ivel.
Having fallen into untidiness and suffered damage by vandals, the Town Council started a scheme in 1988 for repair and renovation to once again make it into a nice town park. The paddling pool has been filled in but some good play items have been introduced but the bandstand has gone.
The Biggleswade Silver Town Prize Band, now defunct, used to play in the bandstand on summer sunday afternoons to a large gathering of townsfolk.
Will these days ever return?