Lindsell & Archdale (Wells & Co.) the Biggleswade Brewers, purchased a piece of land in the newly opened Station Road, from John Nathaniel Foster in 1855. The George Railway Tavern was opened a year later. It stood at the entrance to the original Station and contained a Bar with glazed enclosure, Tap Room, Five Bedrooms, Stable Yard, Cart Sheds, Stabling, Pig Styes all suitable for a thriving business.
The name was soon changed to The George Hotel to avoid confusion with the Railway Tavern in Palace Street, nearby. There had been an earlier George Inn in Holme Street (now Part of Hitchin Street) recorded in Manor Court Books of 1775 and 1785.
An early Landlord was George Hendry in 1864, by 1875 William Parker had taken over and also was a Coal Merchant. He was followed in 1900 by Arthur Dixon, after he died in 1936 firstly his wife and then his son ran the business right up to 1954.
A local man, Derek McLennan took over for a short time and then after a few changes of tenancy, the Hotel closed in 1966. It was converted into two flats and sold in 1978, being demolished in 1982, when George Court was built. The original stone sign ‘The George’ is retained in the new building.