The Manor of Stratton came into the ownership of the Cotton family in 1639. Sir Robert Cotton’s famous library was stored at Stratton for safety during the Civil War.
The Cottons carried out rebuilding work on the Mansion and in 1764, it was purchased by the Barnett family, ‘ who refaced the house in 1878 and carried out quite a number of improvements over the next few years.
The last owners were Captain Charles Fitzroy Barnett and Mrs. Lucy Barnett who survived him and died in 1908, hence the sale.
When the Stratton Park Estate was offered for sale on 29th June 1910, the house was described as a Handsome E-shaped Elizabethan Mansion. The estate then comprised; The Mansion, a Park of 170 acres, Pleasure grounds and gardens, Kennel Farm, Stratton Park Farm, Spread Eagle Farm, Stratton Lodge, various Cottages, the whole comprising 1,070 acres. After the sale, The Mansion became Parkfield School for boys, the farms and land sold to various farmers and market Gardeners, the many building plots on the east side of London Road provided good housing for ‘bread and lard avenue’. The County Council purchased a large area of land for renting.
By 1939, the school had closed, the Mansion was used for Army purposes and demolished in the 1950’s